Garden of Life was founded in 2000 under the parent company Atrium Innovations. It was a Canadian health company that includes reputable supplement brands such as Pure Encapsulations, which offer prescription grade supplements that have been used in over 30 clinical studies. Atrium sold to Nestle in 2017. Garden of Life now operates out of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. They’re best known for their organic supplements and you’ve most likely seen one of their 330 product lines in your local grocery store. David Perlmutter, M.D formulated their new CBD line.
- Certified B Corporation. They are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment. They’re also involved in a few non-profits.
- Dr. Perlmutter is the New York Times bestselling author of Grain Brain and Brain Maker, world-renowned neurologist, and someone you want formulating your CBD.
- Non-GMO Certified by IGEN™ . Garden of Life has gained many certifications and awards over the years.
- They manufacture in GMP facilities that are certified by third-party auditors.
- THC Free—Third-party certified by Labdoor for Purity & Potency.
- Labdoor.com tested 5 Garden of Life CBD products and all products passed the lab tests with flying colors.
- A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- Excellent rating on trustpilot.com.
- ConsumerLab.com approved all 19 Garden of Life products that they have tested over the years.
- Consumer Reports claimed a 2018 study found that a Garden of Life Organic Shake product received the “poorest overall scores” when tested for heavy metals and contaminants. Garden of Life declined to comment. However, organic plant-based protein powders are more likely to have metal containments because fresh produce contains natural metals (e.g., lead). Labdoor tests explicitly for heavy metals in the Garden of Life CBD line, so this old study is unlikely to affect their CBD product line.
- Garden of Life issued a voluntary recall of their "Raw Meal Organic Shake" in 2016 for possible Salmonella contamination, according to the CDC. While this isn’t “good,” Garden of Life took responsible actions and this isolated incident did not affect their line of hundreds of other supplements.
- An extensive internet search for Garden of Life’s CBD products found no reports of toxins, pesticides, metals, fake products, or unethical business practices.
Other CBD Products by Garden of Life
Garden of Life offers CBD extracts, capsules, pet products, and topical formulas.