About the company
Lord Jones is a premium CBD brand that was founded in 2013 in Thousand Oaks, California. Lord Jones made international news when it became the first-ever CBD line sold at Sephora in 2018, pushing the CBD industry into a new realm of mainstream retail. It was sold to Cronos Group in 2019, which is primarily owned by big tobacco’s Altria Group (Previously known as Philip Morris and best known for ownership in Marlboro and JUUL e-cigarettes).
- Lord Jones is the CBD brand recommended by celebs such as Olivia Wilde, Mandy Moore, Katy Perry, and Kristen Bell.
- It’s gained credibility by earning the “Clean at Sephora” stamp of approval.
- Altria is a multi-billion-dollar company with access to sophisticated lab equipment.
- Lord Jones’ beautiful packaging makes a perfect gift for your fancy friends.
- Cronos has a 4.2-out-of-5 score by employees on Glassdoor. Happy employees make happy CBD customers.
- Lord Jones gives a military and teachers discount.
- Altria’s ownership in JUUL e-cigarettes is also controversial because some people, such as researchers from JAMA, partially blame JUUL for the youth e-cigarette epidemic.
- The Canada Securities Administrators observed “inadequate transparency” at Cronos. Cronos purchased Lord Jones for up to 150 times its 2018 revenue, and the Chief Executive of Cronos owned 40% of Lord Jones. It raises shareholder eyebrows when a CEO quietly buys his own company. The SEC is currently investigating Cronos.
- The ownership by Altria Group and their association with Philip Morris is a deal-breaker for many consumers. If you don’t know why let John Oliver help you out with a segment called “some women prefer to have smaller babies.”
- In August 2006, the Altria Group was found guilty of civil fraud and racketeering. The federal judge said the government had proved their participation “in a decades-long conspiracy to deceive the public about the risks of smoking in order to sustain their profits… they suppressed research, they destroyed documents, they manipulated the use of nicotine so as to increase and perpetuate addiction, they distorted the truth about low-tar and light cigarettes so as to discourage smokers from quitting.”
- I could not find a Better Business Bureau Score or Trustpilot.com score for Cronos or Lord Jones.
- An extensive internet search for Lord Jones found no reports of inconsistency, toxins, pesticides, metals, fake products, or unethical business practices. However, the current ownership by Altria Group is another story.
Other Products by Lord Jones
- Lord Jones offers CBD bath salts, royal oil, skincare, tinctures, gel capsules, gummies, and chocolates.