Swanson is one of the first mainstream brands to offer CBD. They came in hot, with 26% to 32% more CBD than claimed by their label. This disparity is concerning if you are looking for an accurate dose. Most people don’t mind the extra CBD as long as the brand is consistent. It’s fascinating that even one of the largest supplement manufacturers doesn’t provide an accurate CBD dose.
Cost: Lab A found that the price per mg of CBD was only 2.6 cents. It’s still only about 3 cents per mg of CBD if they only provide the amount of CBD claimed on their label (our lab found more CBD; thus, a lower price per mg of CBD). Fifteen cents per mg is average. This is a fantastic deal any way you slice it.
Taste: It’s fine. It’s ok. It’s a little weird. This hemp extract is flavored with peppermint and sweetened with monk fruit. The peppermint flavor is robust and natural, perhaps from essential oil. It’s not sweet. It tastes earthy, but I do not taste the natural flavor of hemp. It might taste better than natural hemp extract but it also has a harsh herbal flavor or medicinal flavor.
Strength: Over 30 mg of CBD is a potent dose and the novice should not take a full dropper on the first go. Most people won’t have any trouble with this amount of THC but you should still try it out before operating a vehicle or working. 1.2 mg of THC per day will risk a failed drug test. It’s got decent amounts of CBC and CBG. It’s the full package.
Overall: Swanson’s 25 mg CBD is an excellent full-spectrum extract with many cannabinoids. This CBD is for people who want relief from multiple cannabinoids and don’t mind getting a little more CBD than expected. Ok, a lot more CBD than expected.
About the company
Swanson is a behemoth of a supplement company that’s been around since 1969. They’re located in Fargo, North Dakota.
- Swanson is a company that’s built trust over more than 50 years. Many CBD companies launched within the last 50 days, in comparison.
- A+ Better Business Bureau Score.
- Swanson passed an FDA audit in 2019, where an extensive list of other supplement manufacturers failed.
- Swanson products have earned 12 top picks on Consumerlab.com.
- While Swanson’s Better Business Bureau score is excellent, they also have many complaints. Complaints mostly revolve around canceled orders without communication.
- “Poor” score on Trustpilot.com, with numerous consumer complaints about bad customer service. Again, consumers seem to enjoy Swanson products but not their customer service.
- Terrible consumer reviews on sitejabber.com.
- Labdoor.com has tested eight supplement lines by Swanson with mixed results. Most products tested well. However, their green tea supplement failed a purity test for lead and their magnesium supplement also failed a purity test.
- Consumerlab.com found two Swanson supplements with low potency and two supplements with lead contamination. Low potency and contamination problems are common in supplement companies this large. Overall, their Consumerlab.com scores are higher than most supplement companies.
- Our lab tests found that Swanson contained up to 31% more CBD than suggested by their label, which is a concern for people who need exact doses.
Other CBD Products by Swanson
Swanson offers CBD extract, capsules, and CBD balm.